v2.b714 (Version 2, Build 714) - Released May 25, 2018
The new release of Riffyn contains the following new features and bug fixes.
Measure Mode Improvements
The primary goal of this release is to simplify experimental data entry through easier keyboard navigation, resource creation and assignment, enhanced sequence generation, copying and pasting of data, and cross-step formulas.
Prior to the 2.2 release, entering data in measure mode was heavily dependent on using the mouse to focus on individual cells before using the keyboard to enter data. Now you can both navigate and enter data for single and aggregated runs using the following keys:
- Up, down, left, right arrow keys.
- Enter to move down, Shift+Enter to move up.
- Tab to move right, Shift+Tab to move left.
- Data editing
- Numerical, text data, resource names can be edited on entering the cell, Escape key will cancel the edit.
- Dropdowns can be edited by selecting with spacebar and choosing a value using up/down arrowkeys.
- Resource assignment manager can be launched using spacebar when selecting the icon to the left of the resource field.
- Run selection
- Checkboxes for runs and aggregate selection can be selected with spacebar.
The mouse can be used to place focus on cells, and in particular to place cursor focus within the existing content of a cell.
Resource Creation and Assignment
Prior to the 2.2 release it was necessary to edit input resources on runs individually, or by selecting multiple runs and choosing to assign a resource from the resource assignment manager when run input resources were all blank. Now assigning resources is easier:
- The number of buttons in the resource assignment manager have been reduced from four buttons ("Remove", "Remove All", "Assign All", "Assign") to two buttons ("Unassign", "Assign").
- The "Unassign" button will remove all input resources from selected runs.
- The "Assign" button will assign the selected resource to all selected runs, replacing existing input resources where possible.
- "Fill down" will work on input resources, the same as filling down on property values on selected runs. Fill down is accessed via a button at the bottom of the screen.
- Resources can be assigned when runs are aggregated. This is possible if aggregated input resources are varied. Assignment can be performed by directly typing into the input resource name cell, by selecting the cell and using the "Assign" button in the resource assignment manager, or by pasting a value from the clipboard. Property values can be edited when aggregated.
- Ghost input resources can be rechecked after initial data entry to see if they have been subsequently created elsewhere and therefore can be found in inventory. Rechecking for these resources is accessed by right clicking on the status icon to the left of the resource type name.
- Only one instance of a resource will be created when multiple ghost input resources share the same resource name.
Enhanced Sequence Generation
Sequences provide a rapid mechanism of filling property values according to a defined sequence syntax. Sequence definitions can now be saved and rapidly recalled from the context menu to name runs and output resources, and insert property values:
- Sequences can be saved and recalled using a new sequence editing modal.
- The last 3 sequences used can are accessible from a context menu when right clicking on a cell.
- A new semi-colon symbol can be used to separate multiple sequence where each operand sequence is iterated until exhausted, left to right, before the following operand sequence is executed.
Copy and Paste of Data
Prior to the 2.2 release it was only possible to copy and paste a single clipboard value into a single cell. Copy and paste of data can now be performed using keyboard shortcuts. This will reduce the need to upload Excel spreadsheets to experiments by allowing copying and pasting experiment data to and from the clipboard within Riffyn itself and from other applications (such as Excel) using standard keyboard copy and paste controls:
- Data can be copied/pasted from/to run names, input and output resource names, and properties.
- Data can be copied/pasted from/to Excel and other text applications.
- Data will be copied/pasted from/to selected runs only.
- Data is pasted following the displayed run order, from the topmost cell down.
- When the clipboard contains more data than selected runs, it will not paste the excess data into any other cells.
- Paste can be performed on aggregated runs. This performs similar to Excel where paste can be applied to hidden rows.
The first implementation of formulas allowed calculations to be executed within a run on a single step. The new functionality allows a formula to use a value from a connected run on a destination step without the need to either enter/upload the value to the value again or use a fixed-property to transfer the value:
- Finding variables to use in a formula is easier through the use of a search filter.
- The search filter can be used to find variables on upstream and downstream steps.
- Formula variables will be given a default name.
- When using a numeric variable from multiple connected runs or runs with multi-valued data then the mean of the means within each connected run will be used. This functionality will be expanded in a future release.
- When using a character/date variable from multiple connected runs or runs with multi-valued data then the first value from the first connected run will be used. This functionality will be expanded in a future release.
Locking of Design and Measure Mode
Process designs, and experiments can be placed in a locked (non-editable) state by opening either the process or experiment summary modal and selecting the lock option. This is part of the 21 CFR Part 11 package.
The following improvements and new features have been added to the Riffyn API:
- Enhanced Security - Access Token and API Key
- Now using a JSON access token for authentication and an new format for our API key.
- The API key will now be visible on the login page only on the first visit, after which it will no longer be visible. Users will have to logout and login again to see the API key again. This encourages users move away from using Basic Authentication in the API for improved security.
- Summary and purpose - Can now add, edit and delete the summary and purpose for the experiment.
- Tags - Can now add tags to, remove tags from an experiment (adding a tag that doesn't exist will create the tag, deleting a tag removes it from the experiment but doesn’t delete the tag.
- Comments – Can add, update, and delete comments, and also add a reply to a specific comment and get all the replies for a comment.
AddIn for JMP
Though not previously announced in our release notes, Riffyn has offered an AddIn for JMP since late 2017. This AddIn automates many common data analysis tasks that users of Riffyn and experimental scientists use frequently. Functions include:
- Extra annotation tools
- Column relabeling utilities
- Design of Experiments (writing designs to Riffyn)
- Data tagging in Riffyn based on visual analysis
- Data reshaping
- And column repair/merging when resource or property names are modified from version to version.
The Riffyn AddIn may be downloaded here.
Tableau Web Data Connector
The new Tableau Web Data Connector allows you to fetch specific Riffyn experimental data tables, ranges of experiments, or entire process data tables directly into Tableau, and begin your visual analysis of data without downloading any files.
Instructions on how to use the Tableau Web Data connector are here.