An data environment is a group of servers residing in a part of network that is fire-walled from the outside world and other networks in the company.
A data source can be a database, web service or some other service running inside a data environment in customer’s network.
Data Agent Software
The Riffyn Data Agent Software is a node.js application which is used to process remote database queries and is defined and initiated in Riffyn application. These query requests are relayed from the Riffyn application to the Data Agent. The Data Agent in turn uses isolated docker containers to execute the query and return data to the Riffyn application. All communication is encrypted.
An agent is a virtual machine running Riffyn’s Data Agent Software. This virtual machine needs to run either in the same environment as the data sources or be able to connect to those datasources through an open port in the firewall. It is recommended that three instances of the Data Agent are run per environment for failover and load balancing.
Agent Service is a web service running in Riffyn Cloud that is responsible for authenticating agents, passing instructions (like queries) from Riffyn to the agent to execute, receiving and processing data from the agents, monitoring the health of agents and updating the agent software as needed.
- The Data Agent VM can be run on:
- Any machine running virtualization software (e.g., VMware Workstation, VirtualBox, etc.). PCs, laptops, or servers may be used as a host.
- Any Managed Virtual Environment AWS, VMWare, Citrix, etc.
- We currently only support RHEL operating system for running the Data agent.
- Data Agent VM requires 8 GB free disk space. 2GB RAM.
- Data Agent must be able to connect to the data source(s) which it is configured to retrieve data from. This can be accomplished by running the Riffyn Data Agent Appliance on the same network as the data source, or opening firewall ports for the Agent to connect to the data source. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help in setting up firewall ports if needed.
- Outbound port 443 must be open to https and tcp traffic